Kotlin Backend Engineer
The teams at Bytex build scalable and easy to maintain Web Services that are used by our clients for things like collecting and analyzing security parameters by Cyber Security Analysts or gaining access to their workspaces.
The scalability and maintainability of our services are based on business logic structured into multiple loosely coupled layers that together build our final product.
We follow the Agile development methodology, which implies having a close and constant collaboration with our clients’ representatives in order to properly handle each implementation detail and to assure the quality of the software we build.
We are looking for a Backend Software Engineer in a high-growth, high-potential startup. The backend has a web tier that supports microservices, serving a three-sided marketplace with full-text search, media streaming, video calls, and more. The backend platform is built primarily in Kotlin and running on AWS.
Our customer works on different features every day of the week, and you will be expected to be comfortable in an elite team in a fast-paced environment where the product is constantly evolving. The Engineering team is a small, open, and collaborative group of highly talented engineers who are committed to shipping high-quality experiences to some of the largest organizations in the world. You will be reporting directly to the CTO of our customer.
What you will do
- Develop new backend features in Kotlin;
- Work directly with the founders and the rest of the team to evolve the platform;
- Understand high-level business requirements and use those to guide product feature design without hand-holding from the rest of the team;
- Work directly with the frontend engineers to design and improve and extend our APIs;
- Maintain the long-term quality and stability of the platform;
- Implement automated and manual testing strategies to maintain the highest quality user experience.
- Kotlin or Java development in positions of responsibility on your team.
- Previous experience with on-the-wire API design (particularly REST).
- Experience working hand-in-hand with frontend developers, and producing user interfaces which load quickly and update live.
- Knowledge of full-text search systems, such as ElasticSearch, and designing schemas and query systems within them.
- Previous work with open-source toolkits such as Ktor, Koin, Dropwizard, Jackson.
- Experience with automated testing tools.
- Knowledge of techniques for optimizing and debugging network traffic and page load performance.
- Metrics gathering, time series databases, and dashboarding (with Grafana for example).
Other experience that would be helpful:
- Multi-sided marketplaces, and the complexities involved in building them.
- Web-based video conferencing systems.
- Search backends with rich filtering systems and pagination.
- Previous experience at startups with very small teams.
Open office policy - Work from Anywhere and Utilities expenses coverage
Extra days off & Bi-monthly team lunch / activities
Offers for dental and optical clinics & health subscription & sports discounts
Access to learning platforms & Bookster subscription
Good coffee and snacks at the office & discounts at coffee shops nearby